The Agave Journey
Our History of Pediatric Care in Phoenix, AZ
Our history here at Agave Pediatrics started in 2005 when Dr. Rajeev Agarwal, MD first moved to the United States from his original home in India. Since those early years, our team has remained devoted to our core mission: Providing the best possible pediatric care in Phoenix. We believe in the importance of individualized and personalized care, and we focus on fostering growth and child development.
10+ Years of Serving Our Community with Compassionate Care
Learn more about our journey here at Agave Pediatrics:
- 2005 – In 2005, Dr. Agarwal moved to Arizona. By July 2005, Desert Ridge Children’s Center (DRCC) opened with a total of seven exam rooms. We had one employee, one provider and zero patients!
- 2007 – In 2007, DRCC began training students in the physician assistant (PA) and pediatric nurse practitioner (PNP) programs. After completing her time as a student at DRCC, Diane Smith, CPNP joined the team. Victor Perfecto, MA also joined the team to manage front office, back office work and referrals. This was also the year that Dr. Agarwal discovered his passion for helping moms and infants with breastfeeding and the “Tongue Tie Project” was created. The practice began to receive recognition within the Phoenix community.
- 2009 – In 2009, the patient volume doubled from 2007! Dr. Nichole Thomas joined the practice, along with Brita Overly, PA-C, after completing her pediatric rotation at DRCC as a student. LaDana Cook, LPN, Maria Woods, RN, Ruben Hernandez, MA, along with Chris Cheaney as Office and Billing Manager also joined the team. Dr. Agarwal received the award for “Most Compassionate Doctor” from Patients Choice and Phoenix Top Doc.
- 2011 – In 2011, Agave South opened with three exam rooms. Senior Team Members, Victor Perfecto and Ruben Hernandez moved to Agave South. Dr. Shawn Singleton join the team as a healthcare provider, along with Val Pizano, MA, and Tonya Bublik, MA. Robin Lepker also joined the billing team after completion of an extern at DRCC. Dr. Agarwal received several awards, including the Patients’ Choice Award from Vitals.com., Phoenix Magazine’s “Top Doc” award and Most Compassionate Doctor” from Patient’s Choice.
- 2012 – In 2012, patient volume doubled from 2009! We out grew DRCC and moved into a new facility known as Agave North. New growth and a new location meant more exam rooms and more staff!! Dr. Agarwal’s “Tongue Tie Project” became widely recognized with over 500 procedures performed. Our team received more awards, including “Most Compassionate Doctor” from Patients’ Choice Award from Vitals.com, and Talk of the Town’s award for Excellence in Patient Satisfaction”.
- 2013 – In 2013, Agave South moved to a larger location with double the number of exam rooms and staff members. Cynthia Harding, PNP, Penny Lee, FNP-C, and Dr. Eric Noel joined the team! The Tongue Tie Project was firmly established, with a benchmark of 1,000 procedures. The team continued to receive awards, including “Most Compassionate Doctor” from Patients Choice, Phoenix Top Doc and the Patients’ Choice Award from Vitals.com.
- 2014 – By 2014, patient volume doubled from 2012. Dr. Thomas earned the prestigious Parents Choice Award. The “Tongue Tie Project” reached more than 1,500 procedures performed. Dr. Agarwal presented at conferences in Phoenix and Tucson educating medical professionals on the importance of breastfeeding and the effects of Tongue Ties. The staff grew and Melissa Brown joined the team as the Billing Supervisor. We continued to receive awards: Talk of the Town Award, and Patient’s Choice Award from Vitals.com
- 2015 – In 2015, Stephanie Poterack FNP-C joined our team after her pediatric rotation as a student, along with Dr. Traci Lombard. Our “Tongue Tie Project” had more than 5,000 procedures under its belt! We received the Elite American Physicians Award.
- 2016 – In 2016, we opened two new locations, Agave Chandler and Agave Deer Valley. With two new locations, came new providers, Tiffany Zook CPNP and Jessica Etchells PA-C, who was a student prior to joining the team.
- 2017 – In 2017, Damara Vasquez, CPNP, Kevin Madayag PA-C, Dr. Marisa Farinella, Dr. Rachael Blumenthal and Dr. Melissa Jones joined our team. Dr. Agarwal received Phoenix Top Doc Award.
We’re Still Growing! Thank You for Letting Your Child Grow With Us, Too.
There is nothing more precious to us than the trust our patients and their parents place in us. We believe strongly in the importance of human-to-human contact and experience—fostering growth and child development in our young patients with personalized care. Call our team today to schedule an appointment or to learn more about Agave Pediatrics.